Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside

     Hot dang!!! Well actually not hot AT ALLLLLLL!!!!! Its really intimidating when you car thermometer reads -18!!!!!! Plus wind chill!!!!!!! So im Marion, OH the forecast says -40!!!! It has been so unbelievably cold!!! I cant even tell you what it feels like here.  You walk out and your bones just turn to ice!!!! But its awesome cause then lots of sympathetic people invite in their homes!!!!! #tendermercies 
  
 Bon Voyage! My companion is off to BRAZIL!!!! He should be there by now in 100000 degree weather.  I cant even imagine how he feels!  Weeks leading up to him leaving were hard for me.  I really grew to love the guy.  We had a system and it worked.  We grew to love so many of the people we taught and in return they loved us together.  The goodbyes on Sunday night were really hard.  A LOT OF CRYING.  The people we taught treat us like their family so it was like he was leaving for his mission all over again!  So hard to watch.  We fasted and prayed a couple days before he left that he would be able to remember the language and that he would have peace about going to Brazil.  That prayer was answered.  He left knowing it would be challenging but that it wouldnt matter, because one thing would remain the same... His testimony.  The gospel is true wherever you are.  

 So what does that all mean for me?!  Well right now I am in a area called "Marysville"  It is small and even more rural than Marion.  I am with two other Elders so we are in a Trio!  I just found out that I will be staying in Marion and will be training a new missionary coming TOMORROW!!! And i will also be district leader.  Im so excited to be district leader.  I plan on helping and working towards making my district the best in the whole mission.  With hard work and sincerity one can accomplish anything!   
  
 This past week i have had the opportunity to chat with my Mission President for a good amount of time.  I really respect who he is and what he is WORKING to accomplish ads a mission.  I relate to him in many ways but also strive to accuring some traits that he has.  We talked a lot about leaving who I was before the mission behind.  I have been pondering this ever since.  Although I believe that as missionaries we are to be "ourselves", but that doesn't mean at the cost of improving who we can be.  Being Ben Patch the volleyball player isn't going to make me a better missionary, but applying the things I learned from volleyball will.  He said some really profound things to me that really made me want to improve.  I never want to stop progressing and enhancing myself, and sometimes we hold on to who we are and forget to look at who we can be.
  
 I am so grateful for the chance and opportunity to serve a mission.  A mission is just as much for people to learn of the gospel, as it is for us as missionaries to learn about ourselves.  I truly have come to know that these may not be "The Best Two Years", but they sure are the most important. I love this gospel and I love our Heavenly Father who never stops letting us learn for ourselves. The church is true.  If you don't know it yet then PRAY AND ASK!!!

Love you all,

Elder Patch





Elder Patch

No comments:

Post a Comment